Thursday, January 5, 2012

Opening 65 not enough

My dad and I combined in the 2-man scramble portion of the format for a 7-under par 65, which places us a little below the middle of the field.  We just plodded along on the front nine, birdie-ing just about every other hole.  One of my best shots of the day came on our second hole, where I hit a 3-wood from 255, needing to hit a baby fade, and hit it pin-high on the par-5 11th green.  Our big problem on the day was a lack of made putts.  My dad destroyed the back of the cup on a made 25-foot, downhill birdie putt on our fourth hole, as the ball popped up and dropped back in the hole.  On the next hole we had a 50-foot uphill putt, which my dad left short, to which Tom Pernice Jr joked, "If you had hit that putt as hard as the one on the last hole you probably would've got it there."  Unfortunately, that was my dad's only make outside 6 feet on the day.  I made a couple 15 footers for birdies on our back side, but we gave a couple shots away with missed birdie opportunities on the last 4 holes and had to settle for pars.

There are 5 groups that shot 59, so we are 6 shots back.  It will take a special round along with some ham and eggs tomorrow to catch the winners, but a few hot putters could do that.  We both hit it solidly today, and we tee it at 9:24 tomorrow as the format switches from the 2-man scramble to a straight Best-Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment