Friday, July 6, 2012

Bogey free, the way to be!

Shot a bogey-free 69 in John Deere Pre-Qualifying yesterday.  Had a good game plan going into the day, as I started on the par 4 10th.  I knew a couple good drives on 10 & 11 could net me some early birdies, so I tried to be aggressive.  It paid off on 10 as I hit a good pitch to six feet and poured in the birdie.  Didn't hit a good enough drive on 11 to go for the par 5 green in two with water in front.  So I layed it up to 90 yards and hit a good wedge shot that spun a little bit too much.  Good thing I started the day straight ROLLING my Bettinardi putter.  Poured it in from 15 feet, then made a 5 footer and 8 footer for pars on the next two holes.  I knew 2-under would be more than enough on a day when the top 50 of 140 players make it into the Monday qualifier.  So I tossed it in cruise control, which was the plan if I could get those birdies early on.  I did have a couple disappointing pars on a few holes on the front nine.  Could have played those a little better.  But I made it easy on myself all day long.  Never in trouble of making any big numbers, or even bogies for that matter.  Really playing good solid golf.  Excited for the chance to get back into my favorite tour event, The John Deere Classic!

I'm headed to Chicago for the next two days to practice and play some golf with former MU teammate Sam Bettinardi, who recently shot a 67 in the Illinois State Match Play qualifying rounds.  Going to be a fun couple days of practice and then back for another practice round Sunday afternoon before the qualifier on Monday.  I'm also signed up for an eGolf event this next week at The Club at Irish Creek in Charlotte, but hopefully I won't be headed there.

Stay Cool this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment